Friday 15 October 2010

My excuse what is yours?

Last Sunday I thought it time to have a boy’s day out! With a Billiard competition in Cambridge four of us got together in one car and made the 200 mile journey. I had not played in these E.A.B.A. Billiard competitions for two years. Being the head coach of the EABA and with no coaching at this event it gave me the opportunity to have some match practice.




We arrived 45minutes before the start so after registration I had time to chat to fellow players. With 53 players taking part there was a good chance to analyse people’s words- part of peak performance coaching. One of the players had won the competition the month before so I congratulated him. He told me that had since got a new cue and hoped he would play O.K. He had purposely left his old cue at home so that if by chance he made a couple of bad shots he would not be tempted to revert back to his old one. I told him this was very good thinking, however, he then went on to say he had a cold and was feeling very lethargic. He did lose in the competition but made a break of 208 with his new cue.



On the three hour journey home I was asked about my blog and found myself saying that I hadn’t got on with it as my internet speed was so slow at 0.3MgBites. I had made a number of calls to the provider over the last five months waiting for them to ring back with no results. I decided this was just an excuse for not getting on with it. Some years ago I thought of writing a book “The 147 ways I lost my snooker game” Although I was coaching several players at the time I was not a mind/peak performance coach, I also thought that as I was not a professional player no one would want to buy the book (my negative belief). One of the best excuses from one of my young players who lost was “I couldn’t play my ears were too hot”

Why oh why do we do this? Players don’t like to lose, are not prepared to put in the practice or make a complete commitment. We must work on our players goals helping them formulate them, helping them with their technique,keeping their composure and always help them maintain their strategies, in order to achieve a focus (zone), and always always encouraging them.

 In my next Blog, is about Vince Lombardi he was in my opinion the best team manager ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment