Monday 25 October 2010

The mind factor

A book I recommend


I start to read some books, then after a few minutes I find them hard to follow. I often look at the reviews on Amazon, where you can sometimes read the foreword and look at the contents, maybe there are also a couple of pages of the first chapter. One book that ticked all the boxes was called “The Mind Factor” written by joint authors Darren Clarke and Dr. Karl Morris. (I bought four NEW copies on my last order from Amazon uk for one pence each, but I had to pay postage. You can have them posted direct to the person you are giving it to.)

Karl’s passion is to demystify psychology and provide a range of practical tools, applicable to all levels that will assist in your performance breakthrough.

He gives a good example of what I try myself when coaching my pupils. This is a story Karl tells about the time you are at school. You submit your homework into the teacher which you were hoping would give you 10 out of 10. You get it back with big red crosses showing your mistakes, these crossers come off the paper and slap you in the face.

Just imagine if your teacher had highlighted all what you had done right in green and all you done wrong were not highlighted, you wouldn’t feel as bad as getting the red crosses. So the next time you are coaching. First praise your team/pupil on the 95% on what they have done right, and then talk about mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment